Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mamma screwed up again!

I was willing to be self sacrificial and surprise the kids with family swim time at the high school. Once I got into the pool most of my blubber would be covered, so I did it. To get a ticket to go swimming they had to help me put away the one hundred and one bins of clean laundry (yes, bins, 13 gallon to be exact). After laundry, we suited up and off we went. Well, like aforementioned title, I screwed, or my faulty processor acted inefficiently again! (that sounds so much better- now I'm not at fault at all!)
Upon great excitement and trepidation for some- the 40 pound overweight one to be exact- we open the door to find the pool full......of......a water aerobics class. SHOOT!!! Those people putting the wrong date on the calender again! Some of the crew took the disappointment in stride and some melted down with great voracity. To ease the suffering someone's suggestion of McDonald's was answered with a yes (EWW!) and off we went. Well, just so happens that it was $.49 cheesburger day and the place was busy, but that is besides the point, we were there to get Happy Meals and I did not attempt another change in plans for my sanity begged me "NOOO!!"  
When settled I asked them if they wanted ketchup and with a resounding yes, I told the boys to stay with the girls and keep them safe while I went to get the ketchup to which my Brody responded "You're going home?" LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL! "No, honey, I'm going over to the counter to get ketchup, stay with your sisters." My literal one. 
I won't bore you with the account of the rest of the "meal" or every little sensory issues that is huge to 3/5 of my children. Well, okay, I will: the heat, it was too hot. The lights: too bright. The siblings: too close. They all managed to "be the boss of their bodies" and we had a nice "meal" until THE CAR. One said girl had to pee and refused to buckle up. Had to pee SO badly, but pretended to not be able to buckle the old familiar seat belt. I find that a lot. Feigned helplessness. I think I read that once they are into sensory overload they become helpless to in their overloaded way, ask for help, but honestly, it's infuriating at times. Any who, when we got home, Daddy asked Caleb, 9, how swimming went and he said the best thing a kid could say to make his mommy laugh while she was cleaning the toilet before she wrote this: "The pool was filled with old people doing tricks!" growled and sighed my boy :)

3 comments:

  1. Laura,
    Ooh how we all can relate. You made me laugh this AM. Thank you. You are a great teacher weather you know it or not. GOD is proud!!!!! I see you around EVERYWHERE. Always reading posts or blogs about you. It seems that you are pretty frequent in my life yet we just merely wave at each other. We should have coffee sometime. Waiting anxiously for your next blog........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed we should :) Thanks, Cayla, what fabulous compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I laughed so hard I almost peed in the pool!

    ReplyDelete